Yesterday was beautiful, so I took the car out and ran errands all afternoon, like it was a real car, or something. It was blissful.

One downside of having the dual front parcel shelves and no real trunk… the car has ZERO secure, lockable storage now. Occasionally I might need to stash a radar detector, or firearm, or drug money, or something. So I fixed that.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Screwed down to the floor. I’ll pull it back out and put the carpeted floor panel under it, split so I can access the battery when needed.

Today, worked on installing my new-to-me RMW splitter. The brackets for mounting it never materialized, so I fabbed up a new set. Because it’s always more fun to make something, than to just “get” something. 

The splitter uses two-part aluminum brackets, connected with aluminum bolts mounted in shear. So if you hit something hard enough, the bolts shear off and the splitter drops before breaking something important.

Click the image to open in full size.

The brackets mount to the crush tube bolts on the subframe, and the lowest bumper mount studs. This provides a VERY solid connection to the car. Nothing is connected to the bumper cover. You can shove the splitter with your foot, and the entire car moves. It’s insanely stiff and solid, like a real splitter should be.

Done!

Click the image to open in full size.

It’s VERY low. And this is on my 16″ wheels. It will be even lower on my 15″ track wheels.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

I can’t wait to get it to the track next weekend. The aero on this car was already sooooo much better than my old car, with the GP underbody panels and the tonneau. Plus the vastly superior suspension, the car is gonna be a monster at the track, I predict. I just need to raise my game considerably, to be able to take advantage of it.

Adjusted brackets, moved the splitter up about 3/8″. Fabbed a filler panel to seal the gap in the bumper. Put some weather stripping on the top of the splitter to seal in the area in front of the wheels.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

I think I got my money’s worth out of this wheel…
Click the image to open in full size.

Changed oil, wired oil temp sensor. Used the plug adapter for now, I’ll drill and tap the pan later. Pulled an oil sample to take to the lab.
Click the image to open in full size.

Then took it out and drove the everlovin snot outta it.
OMG, it’s crazy how much difference the splitter makes above 70mph. The faster you go (over 70), the more planted the front end gets. I took some nice sweepers and esses at <speed redacted>, and had WAY more margin available. It will be beastly at VIR next week. The car is much, much better than the driver, right now.

I have the Aquamist system setup like I want, for now. Spraying just a little at high load, my IATs never went over 120F today, and recover almost instantly. But have only burned about half a gallon of meth in three hours of hammering on it, and it doesn’t materially impact my AFR.

Even RaceCars go shopping, sometimes.
Click the image to open in full size.

Back home. Beast mode complete.
Click the image to open in full size.

Gotta do one more test fit of the 15’s tomorrow, and get the track trailer packed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>