Sunday, I went for a spectacular drive. Car was fantastic. And looked fantastic.
Click the image to open in full size.

Drives like a dream. 

Remember, the last time I built a car, the new motor was in it for THREE DAYS before I tore it up.

Well, we have a new record. ONE DAY. 
Click the image to open in full size.

Greek Tragedy of Epic Fail. Short version, do not attempt to pull your car by the tow hook if the crush tubes aren’t installed to support the bumper frame. I already knew that. But now it’s been reinforced a bit. 

Destroyed the brand new bumper frame, brand new radiator frame, and brand new right wheel liner. Scuffed up the brand new bumper cover and broke some clips that hold in the grille. Broke a couple of tabs off the grill trim strip and the grill base, and tweaked a little corner of the new bonnet. Pretty much destroyed the bumper mount bracket on the right engine rail.
Click the image to open in full size.

Anyway, after going home, drinking a beer, and curling up in a fetal position to sleep it off, I got up the next day and pretty much fixed it. Or at least got it drivable again.

Click the image to open in full size.

It looks meaner that way, anyway. I have the grilles back on it now, and from 30 feet away, you don’t notice anything. Only flesh wounds, replacement parts are already purchased, I’ll get the paint and body fixed in January and it’ll be good as new.

Just a speed bump in the build. And builds character, or something.

I chose to re-use the original bumper frame from GP0769 (MOAR GPness) and, at Art’s request, wrote a little epitaph on it.
Click the image to open in full size.

My RMW front mount intercooler for the TVS system arrived direct from Bell. Being in an, uh, INTERESTING mood, I had my daughter snap a pic.
Click the image to open in full size.

Bluetooth kit arrived, so I installed it. Now the CDless GPness haz bluetooth.
Click the image to open in full size.

Radio is all back together and looks totally stock.
Click the image to open in full size.

Fixed the fubar passenger seat slider, and also wired my driver’s seat heater. Not possible to control it with the OEM button, the circuit is very different, but it IS wired into the proper switched and fused seat heater circuit. I’ll find the OEM GP mirror control pod and add the new heater button to that. I think it’s at the bottom of my parts mountain.
Click the image to open in full size.

Good news is, I drove the car enough to get all the OBD emissions stuff “green”. So the car is ready to pass inspection, whenever I can get all the paperwork issues resolved.
Click the image to open in full size.

Today, decided to install the GP underbody panels. Figured out how to mod them to coexist with the cabrio subframe (which is different). Done.
Click the image to open in full size.

More replacement parts will arrive tomorrow. Also bought some vinyl upholstery fabric to prototype the tonneau cover. Still waiting on the last of the paint to arrive, to repaint my roll cage. Will work on that stuff over the holidays, when I’m not traveling. And might drive some more, if the monsoon here ever ends.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>